Saturday, June 8, 2013

Are you from Glendale?

I was walking in the parking lot at a Stop and Shop in Hyde Park New York when this guy comes up to me and says, "Are you from Glendale?"  "No, " I reply,"We're from San Diego."

"Ah,"  he says.  "My wife is from Glendale. She went to Glendale High with that woman who was in the movies.  You know, the blonde one."

"She was under contract with Warner Brothers.  My wife hated her because she never had to take P.E."

"How come? " I asked, as if I were really interested.

"She always had an excuse. And my wife hated her.  She played opposite Troy Donahue.  YOU know.

I'm thinking Sandra Dee, or some such person.  Maybe Debbie Reynolds?  I can't guess.

"Diane McBain!"   He blurts out.  " That's it! She always played the mean girl.  And my wife hated her."

Ah yes,  Diane McBain.  I knew her well.  And if you look her up on the internet, you will be surprised at how many movies and TV series she was in.  It was interesting how they used stock contract players in those days, and she got quite a bit of work.  I think her longest running gig was in Surfside Six, and yes, it was with Troy Donahue.  Although my new friend tells me she never got the boy in any of the episodes.   And it was a good thing.  Because his wife hated her.   Do you recognize her?

No comments:

Post a Comment